In this blog post, we share tips on how to setup video call with Tencent Meeting app for your China audience, either for recorded video or for a scheduled live session.
Tencent Meeting or 腾讯会议 has been more and more popular in China since Covid19, especially among K12 teachers and students. This post high-lights general tips and how-to for tutors and teachers who're trying to setup video calls with their China audience.
Quick Start (for the impatient)
- Download Tencent Meeting (or Voov), English version, for your device (phone, desktop/laptop, etc)
- Install Tencent Meeting (or Voov)
- Open your app, and press
Quick Start / 快速会议button
- Invite others to join your call, by copying & pasting the blob of text prompted to you. It contains essetnial instructions and unique IDs for the invitees to join your call. You can share it via WeChat, email or other social apps of your choice
Call Options, and the How-to
There are THREE options to start a video call with Tencent Meeting,
- Join a call (someone else is hosting), you're being invited, which is how your audience will join your call
- Start a call, you being the host. This is mostly used for ad-hoc call with colleagues or friends. Once your call is started, you'll be notified of a blob of text, containing instructioins you shall share to others (your callees). Make sure you share it via email or an IM app so that your callees can join you instantly.
- Schedule a call, so that others can join in a future time. This is the MOST recommended way to plan a video call, and it allows your invitees to plan and prepare for the call. This option of Tencent Meet also supports creating calendar event as an
iCalfile, sharable to your invitees so that they can save the file onto their calendar app, as an event entry, for later reference or a key reminder to join the call.
Pricing and Choices
Tencent Meeting is offerred in the famous 3-tier pricing, from Free to Custom Pricing (via sales rep). Let's take a deeper look,
Free Edition, good enough for individual coach/tutor who runs session lasting no longer than 45 minutes
- Unlimited one-to-one meetings
- Group meetings for up to 45 minutes
- Up to 25 attendeesAccess from WeChat Mini Program
Pro Edition, all features of Free Edition + the following,
- Up to 100 attendees
- Unlimited meeting duration
- Watermark for screen sharing
This edition is good for larger audience and supports minimal branding via screen sharing watermark. Since your session video content can be recorded, shared, and re-used/re-distributed, this is good for organizations who care about consistent branding and want to avoid plagirism/copyright abuse.
There are more bells and whistles required by big companies. We don't talk about this option.
Tips for Running Efficient Calls
Since Covid19's out-break, we found that keeping a calendar for work and life events has become a necessety, not just an option.
It impressed me that Chinese service professionals with calendaring habbit are far less than those from the West. However, during and after Covid19,
Chinese professionals who're used to depend on off-line events/sessions to deliver their service suddenly found themselves clueless as on how to manage their work online. I believe that the single most important first step, is for them to adapt a good calendaring habbit.
Calendaring habbit is the hidden skill required for managing and running efficient online video calls. The exact how-to in managing and handling video calls are trivial if compared to your calendaring habbit.
Hence, I proposed the following,
Steps for running an efficient call
- Schedule a call event (while keeping it on your calendar). No doubt about it, for any event or meetup you or others care, you need to plan ahead, a basic, simple, and polite step. Better, if you proposed clear topics, theme, or purpose for the call.
- Keep your scheduled call ID or call instruction on the Notes part of your calendar event, and share it to all your invitees. Imagine that computer is powerful enough to give a unique name (ID) to each and every call, whether past or future ones, so that participants to the call will NOT mix up with other calls. And this is how computer manages a sea of data, fast.
- Remember to text your audience/callee before the call, as a way to remind them of their attendance to your planned call.
- Be punctual or even minutes earlier to start the call, so that your invitees are fully engaged for the good of all involved.
Subscribe to our newsletter
You will be notified of new post via email, less than once every two weeks.